Contact Your Members of Congress
- Support the Manufactured Housing Community Improvement Grant Program Act (S.3188) authored by U.S. Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV). The program requires the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to award grants to manufactured home park communities for projects that protect the health and safety of community residents and the long-term sustainability of the community. addresses critical health and safety issues. To be eligible for an improvement grant, a community must either be resident-owned or enter into a binding agreement to be maintained as a manufactured home community and remain affordable for low-income families. Learn more.
- Support the Manufactured Housing Community Preservation Act of 2021 (H.R.3332) authored by U.S. Representative Cindy Axne (D-IA). This bill requires the Department of Housing and Urban Development to award grants to nonprofit organizations, public housing agencies, and other entities for the preservation of manufactured housing communities. Such funds may be used to (1) acquire and preserve manufactured housing communities; (2) make improvements to common areas and community property in such communities; and (3) demolish, remove, and replace dilapidated homes in such communities. A grantee that uses funds to acquire a manufactured housing community must agree to maintain the community for at least 20 years.
- Support the Frank Adelmann Manufactured Housing Community Sustainability Act of 2022 (S.4475 / H.R.7220) authored by U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) and U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN). The bill allows a new tax credit equal to 75% of the gain from the sale or exchange of real property to a qualified manufactured home community cooperative or corporation if (1) the property is acquired for use as a manufactured home community, (2) the seller (or any related person) owned the property for the entire two-year period before the sale or exchange, and (3) the property is transferred subject to a binding covenant that the property will be used as a manufactured home community for at least 50 years or the maximum permissible term under state laws that restrict such covenants to a lesser term. Learn more (press release / one pager).
- Support the Fair Manufactured Housing Lending Act (H.R.3828) authored by U.S. Representative Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR). The act would repeal a 2018 exemption to the Truth in Lending Act granted to manufactured housing retailers that no longer defined them as mortgage originators, and therefore replaced stronger protections for manufactured home buyers with ineffective disclosure requirements. NMHOA opposed the roll back of consumer protections and supported efforts to stop it. Removing this exemption would mean unscrupulous retailers could no longer advantage of home buyers by directing them to their own more expensive, affiliated lenders. Learn more.
- Support the Manufactured Housing Tenant's Bill of Rights Act of 2021 (H.R.3332) authored by U.S. Representative Cindy Axne (D-IA). The bill requires manufactured home parks to meet minimum consumer protections to be eligible for certain federally-backed loans for the construction, substantial rehabilitation, or purchase of these communities. Specifically, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is prohibited from insuring such a loan, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are prohibited from purchasing such a loan, unless a borrower provides specified tenant protections, including: one-year renewable lease terms, unless there is good cause for nonrenewal; at least a 60-day advance notice of any increase in rent, or of a sale or closure of the community; a five-day grace period for rent payments; and a right for a tenant to sell a manufactured home within a reasonable time period after eviction.
- NMHOA's Comments for Federal Housing Finance Agency's Duty to Serve, 8-17-2023
- NMHOA's Comments for Federal Housing Finance Agency's Duty to Serve, 7-12-2022
- NMHOA's Comments to the White House's Manufactured Housing Task Force, 4-20-2022
- NMHOA's Comments on U.S. Department of Energy's Efficiency Standards for Manufactured Homes, 11-26-2021
- NMHOA's Comments on Manufactured Home Buyer Protections in the Truth in Lending Act, 9-7-2017
- NMHOA's Comments for Federal Housing Finance Agency's Duty to Serve, 2-9-2017
- NMHOA's Comments for Federal Housing Finance Agency's Duty to Serve, 3-8-2016
- NMHOA's Comments on Implementation of the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act of 2000, 2-1-2012
- NMHOA's Comments on Proposed Rules to Implement the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008, 3-4-2010
- HUD Manufactured Housing Modernization Act - Passed in 2020, the act encourages state and local jurisdictions to include manufactured housing in their Consolidated Plans. A Consolidated Plan is designed to help state and local governments assess their affordable housing and community development needs. Inclusion in these plans allows projects involving manufactured housing to seek support through federal funding programs, such as Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, HOME Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program, Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Program, and Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program.
- Federal Eviction Moratorium - Established in 2020 and extended in 2021, the federal eviction moratorium passed as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and extended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) kept renters in their homes while state and local governments distributed federal rental assistance to households in need. NMHOA joined a broad national coalition in support of establishing and extending a federal eviction moratorium.
- Emergency Rental Assistance – Established in 2020, the CARES Act provided the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) with funds for rent assistance, housing vouchers, public housing, and housing for the elderly. NMHOA joined a broad national coalition in support of federal rental assistance funding.
Past Legislative Proposals
- Fair Tax Treatment for Manufactured Housing Community Cooperatives Act (press release)
- Energy Efficient Manufactured Home Act of 2017 (one pager)